Saturday, September 11, 2010

No Greater Joy?

"I can think of no greater joy than inviting your family into my kitchen." -Sukhi Singh

The quote above adorns the box of Samosa's in our freezer! No greater joy? Really? You've gotta love the absurdity of some advertising!

These companies need to learn that I take things very literally! Sukhi's face looks completely sincere but I still don't buy it. All the Knudsens dining in her kitchen would bring her the greatest joy ever? Frankly, I can almost promise Sukhi that our table manners would annoy her! The joy might come upon our departure!

I'm guessing Sukhi is an Indian version of Betty Crocker. And, the thing is, when I learned that Betty Crocker wasn't real it was like finding out there is no Santa Claus!

I'm not the brightest bulb but I do understand that there isn't really a Pillsbury Dough Boy; some advertising personas are easy to spot as fictional! But Betty Crocker was practically the Oprah for my Mom's generation of housewives. Betty was the homemaking expert! Betty Crocker was an icon!

So, I've finally come to terms with the disappointing information that Betty was just a man-made character! A gimmick! I've finally worked through this betrayal of sorts and, bada bing, Sukhi comes along making promises she isn't likely to keep!

Until I can ascertain Sukhi's validity, for now we'll just enjoy her samosas in our own kitchen!