Monday, October 25, 2010

4 My Tombstone...

"I am ready to meet my Maker.
Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. - Winston Churchill's epitaph

We visited Kristin and Grandma Colleen's gravesites on Saturday. And a cemetery naturally gets one thinking about death.

I know people who think quite a lot about their own death. How they might die? And when?

But I am not one of those people.

I don't perceive that I'm immortal but I have a somewhat foolhardy attitude that I'll live to be a hundred! Which puts me just past midway point! Plus, longevity does seems to run in my family.

It seems that I've got a good 50 years to go, but, I did come across a little epitaph awhile back that could work for my headstone. In the interest of planning ahead I thought I'd better "put it in writing" somewhere. So, for what it's worth:

"Gaily I lived as ease and nature taught,
And spent my little life without a thought,
And am amazed that Death, that tyrant grim,
Should think of me, who never thought of him" -Rene' Francois Regnier