Sunday, October 3, 2010

Specifics...from General Conference!

"We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day." -Richard G. Scott


LDS General Conference 2010! I love the wise messages from our church leaders. I took a ton of notes on my laptop but I'll note just a few highlights (mostly from the AM session) below:

Elder Holland's expression of gratitude to all unheralded church helpers from girl's camp leaders to people forever setting up tables and taking down chairs was heartfelt and tender. As a church helper myself (versus real leader) I'm pretty grateful for these great leaders like Elder Holland!

David McConkie's premise that a teacher's attitude is more important than their teaching experience, their knowledge of the gospel, or their teaching techniques is a concept I definitely agree with! As teachers, when we are excited about the gospel we genuinely want our students to feel what we feel.

Elder Christofferson gave a wonderful talk on what constitutes a consecrated life. "Life offers us 2 precious gifts: One is time. The other is freedom of choice; the freedom to buy with your time what you will." I relate to his frustration of how much of what passes for entertainment today is "course, degrading, violent, mind numbing and time wasting."

As usual, President Uchdorf hit a home run with his analogy to flight turbulence and what to do when we are experiencing adverse conditions. I loved his advice to slow down a little, don't unnecessarily complicate our lives, and focus on the divine things that matter most! President Uchtdorf is just a classic speaker! And easy on the eyes; hands down the most handsome Apostle!

Even the General Authorities that don't have the charisma of President Uchtdorf still inspire me. What a blessing to have these wonderful men giving us good counsel!

"Your testimony, when nourished, will keep you safe." -President Thomas S. Monson