Thursday, October 14, 2010

Making a Million Mistakes!

"I tell you these stories because these things happen to everyone. It's not about being starched or polished or cute or polite.

It's about having ears that stick out, about breaking yet another glass. It's about seeing something for the first time and making a million mistakes and not ever getting completely discouraged." - Maira Kalman

Of course I adore Maira Kalman; she feels like a soul mate! Making mistakes is what it's all about; at least in my book!

And, speaking of books, I'm anxiously anticipating the newest Maira Kalman book "And the Pursuit of Happiness" to arrive today (via my Amazon pre-order). I'm stoked! Kalman is this quirky women who I feel a certain kinship with because she is curious about many many things. But Kalman's artistic enough to show what I feel but can't express. Plus, we both adore New York City!

Kalman is all-over-the-place! One minute she is drawing maps and collecting postcards and string. The next minute she's naming her daughter "Lulu Bodoni" after a typeface she likes and volunteering to sweep in Central Park!

The book coming out today is her illustrations and thoughts on democracy that was online as a column/blog in The New York Times. Just try to imagine democracy expounded on by someone who is admittedly a little mad but creative, talented, and has a great sense of humor.

To confirm why I adore this woman just consider this Maira Kalman quote: "Facebook is a horrible, horrible thing! Don't you have enough to do?" See,...this zany, quintessential New Yorker, Jewish woman speaks my language!