Monday, January 24, 2011

The Adult Toolbox!

"It's funny: I always imagined when I was a kid that adults had some kind of inner toolbox full of shiny tools: the saw of discernment, the hammer of wisdom, the sandpaper of patience.

But then when I grew up I found that life handed you these rusty bent old tools - friendship, prayer, conscience, honesty - and said 'do the best you can with these, they will have to do.' And mostly, against all odds they do." -Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

Anne Lamott is a bit wacky but I sure love a lot of her writing. Lamott is a few years older than I am (definitely a product of the radical 60's) a white woman with long dreadlocks. As a writer, her honesty is refreshing. When Lamott writes about religion you feel her sincerity.

Before she became a church go-er (her Christian church is predominantly black saints in Marin County), Lamott was an alcoholic and finding faith really changed her life. I could fill pages with inspirational Anne Lamott quotes but the one above is definitely one of my favorites!