Saturday, January 29, 2011

Spiritual Rockstar...

"Man konnte sich daruber argern, aber man ist night verpflicht dazu." -Dieter F. Uchdorf

The German phrase above is a saying that President Uchtdorf's son, Guido, remembers his father using often when they encountered problems. Roughly translated it means: "You could be upset about it, but you are not obligated to be."

The saying reminds me of President Uchtdorf generally. He repeatedly expresses that message of hope. During every challenge we face, by choosing to live the gospel principles and have faith in God, eventually we will triumph.

President Uchtdorf's excellent talks have branded him the reputation of a "favorite" speaker by many! Undoubtably he's got the best accent of any of the Apostles.

I was murmuring about a Friday night Seminary Inservice scheduled last night until I learned President Uchtdorf would be addressing the CES gathering. Instantly, I was on board and planning to attend!

President Uchtdorf's remarks are always kind. He's got a way of phrasing things that I don't feel guilty but I do feel motivated to do better. He promised the Seminary and Institute teachers that we WILL make a difference when we teach the truth with courage and clarity, teach by the Spirit and teach from our hearts.

The best teachers aren't focused on "filling the bucket" as much as "lighting the heart." And, the miracles of technology bring amazing tools to assist us in our work. But, ultimately, to bring the gospel "into" the hearts of youth/others it takes a good teacher.

Sometimes there are variables in teaching Seminary that I really can't control, like tardiness. I know this bothers some teachers endlessly but I think I'm going to take President Uchtdorf's advice: "You could be upset by it, but you are not obligated to be." Whew! Seems like taking that approach could instantly make frustrating things less so! Cool!