Sunday, January 23, 2011

Misery LOVES Company!

I was planning to write about Sargent Shriver today. Since his funeral was yesterday I've read tributes about his life throughout the week. So, my plan was to comment on 2 aspects I really admire about Sargent Shriver.

First, I was planning to write about Shriver being the driving force behind JFK starting the Peace Corps in 1961. And second, apparently Sargent Shriver attended Mass daily for most of his adult life. That's dedication!

But now, I'm completely distracted after watching a clip of Maria Shriver speaking at her father's funeral. Maria (our former California First Lady, wife of Arnold Schwarzenegger, writer, journalist, TV personality) had her remarks about her father typed in a gargantuan sized font. The font was so humongous that only a couple of sentences fit on each page.

I'm thrilled! Obviously, Maria Shriver didn't want to speak while wearing her reading glasses. So, she prepared her text in a notebook, turning pages over and over during her speech. I totally relate to Maria's dilemma. In fact, I did the very same thing the last time I had to speak in church. My church talk was typed so large the organist could probably read it from 20 feet away!

While Maria Shriver and I probably don't have a lot in common it sure makes me feel a whole lot better to see that she is also suffering from presbyopia! If there is one thing I disdain about aging, it's aging eyesight! So this isn't really schadenfreude because I'm not purely taking enjoyment in Maria's troubles. I'm delighting that I'm not alone in my own! Rather, my plight is shared even by the rich and famous! Oh, misery does love company!

And despite the inability Maria and I have to read small text, we would both agree with former President Bill Clinton who noted that Maria's father, Sargent Shriver, was "a man who dedicated his life to serving others!"