Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Blender Wars....

"Will it Blend?" -Tom Dickson, Inventor of the BlendTec blender

I generally arrive a little late to the game (so to speak), hence I wasn't ensnared into the Blender Wars until this week.

But the daily kale and chard in Brent's morning smoothies has destroyed our cheap Oster blender, so Brent insisted we bring in the big guns.

There are pretty much just 2 "big guns" in the blender world, the Vitamix and the BlendTec and I've been doing due diligence this week comparing the 2 machines.

Vitamix has been around longer but BlendTec stole the stage with their "Will It Blend" you tube videos showing them pulverize all sorts of random things: golf balls, a Rubik's cube, even an iphone.

As my research between the 2 brands intensified it only became more confusing which was the superior model. For the most part, the blenders are in a dead heat. One has higher horsepower but it makes more noise. Negligible, nuanced differences.

But we are now the proud owners of a BlendTec Total Blender. And, if you really want to know what sealed the deal for me? Quite honestly, I bought BlendTec over the Vitamix because Tom Dickson, the owner, is a BYU alum and a Mormon. Guess I'm just loyal and I'm also impressed by this wacky LDS inventor!

Infact, maybe BlendTec should try blending a Vitamix in their next YouTube video! In the meantime, we'll be enjoying Jamba Juice quality smoothies right in the comfort of our own home/kitchen!