Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Recipe for Fun...

"Books, like friends, should be few and well chosen. Like friends, too, we should return to them again and again for, like true friends, they will never fail us - never cease to instruct - never cloy." -Charles Caleb Colton

Julia Hatch and I could have fun just about anywhere but especially at our old haunts! And even at new stomping grounds!

Yesterday we shopped our way through Santana Row and decided a 50/50 (sweet potato fries & onion strings) at The Counter sounded good. We weren't hungry enough for big burgers and the waitress didn't think we were serious when we told her we wanted to share a kid's meal. But we were dead serious, after all it comes with 2 sliders, one for me and one for Julia!

From lunch it was on to Willow Glen and we thought we might see former librarian, Claire Teel at Hickleebee's. Claire wasn't there but I'm always a sucker for Hicklebee's. There can't be very many independent children's booksellers still standing. I'm not sure how Hicklebee's survives but they seem to thrive...always bringing in top children's authors for book signings.

Spending time with Julia and frequenting old places we used to go with our carloads of kids from Almaden Country School days always brings back happy memories. After an outing with Julia I always add books to my "must read" list, I gain new inspiration on a myriad of subjects, and most of all I feel like I've laughed most of the afternoon! After all, what are friends for? Besides sharing book recommends and kid's meals!