Saturday, February 26, 2011

The 50/50 Teaser....

All week long the Bay Area newspapers have predicted a 50/50 chance of snow this weekend. When the meteorologists give it 50/50 odds my 'cup half full' outlook naturally leads me to the conclusion that it will snow.

A cold front from Alaska is definitely coming our way. Whether we get the actual snow here on the valley floor depends on whether 'the perfect storm' ingredients all come together.

Or, in weather lingo, the cold front would "need to pick up moisture as it loops over the ocean off the Pacific Northwest before arriving."

It would be the first snow here in 35 years. Apparently it was 1976 when the last snowflakes fell in the Silicon Valley.

As a general rule, I'm not a big fan of cold weather, therefore, I'm not inclined to pray for snow. Ordinarily. However, when a climate that never precipitates anything more dramatic than rainstorms suddenly includes snow in the forecast, it seems extraordinary! And, anything extraordinary calls for celebration and I'm always inclined to celebrate!

So, even though what I am desperately praying for is summer and warm weather, after all the hullabaloo the media has generated with these claims of snow, I do hope we get our mega snowstorm (albeit I just want it to snow today and be gone tomorrow, no need to drag it out!).

If it doesn't snow this weekend, there will be lots of disappointed little kids and perhaps even some disappointed big kids (like me) who do like to see history in the making. Even if it means tolerating a nippy temperature. So, bring on the snow and promptly thereafter let's usher in an early spring season!