Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Sacrament Meeting Soundbite...

"Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by." -2nd verse

I've probably sung the lyrics to "Count Your Blessings" thousands of times. Yet, I heard a clever disclaimer right after it was the congregational hymn between speakers at Sacrament Meeting that gave me a new visual.

The Glass family (cute young mom & dad w/2 adorable daughters) moved into the Los Gatos ward last month and they were giving their official new-to-the-ward talks.

Juston Glass spoke right after we sang "Count Your Blessings" and noted that the words say "every doubt will fly." He pointed out that while "flying" doesn't technically mean they'll be gone, they'll certainly be lighter (if they can fly, of course).

It's just a simple observation on the lyrics but his comment struck me enough that all week I've visualized any doubts (or troubles) I have with wings, flying overhead. Then, picturing this in my mind's eye makes me laugh and it's hard to be upset about trivial doubts and troubles when I'm laughing. Which confirms it works (sort of).

If Juston's soundbite was the only thing I took away from Sacrament meeting it would have been worth my attendance (for my new visual alone). Fortunately, the rest of the meeting was also good.

Justin Bryan (yep, 2 Justin speakers, although Juston Glass spells it with an "o") gave an interesting and very Justin-like perspective on how we are all aliens (tongue in cheek)! And Nani Glass gave a great talk on the Word of Wisdom. Nani's a nutrition major and she focused on how practical our health code is relative to her school studies.

So, definitely one of the blessings I've been counting this week is the spiritual nourishment I get from church! Even just little soundbites! So, have I been "singing as the days go by?" Perhaps, though not in public!