Friday, February 25, 2011

Handiwork around the House...

Brent's "tools of trade" are not the carpentry sort. When it comes to handyman jobs he is ready to tackle the job...with his tube of Gorilla Glue.

It's not that Brent CAN'T build or fix things, it's simply that he prefers not too. What Brent prefers, is hiring someone else to do the job.

Because I'm more reluctant to hire services (think cheap), I'll occasionally take a crack at things before I bring in the big guns. My track record for my efforts has mixed results. Okay, maybe I'm overstating my prowess.

Anyway, I'm probably best at furniture assembly. Especially when furniture comes with detailed directions. I'll copiously study and follow each step meticulously.

I've put together plenty of IKEA gizmos for college kids and Pottery Barn furniture too. It's kind of therapeutic. For me, not for Brent. Furniture assembly would not be his idea of relaxation. In fact, Brent pretty much ignores directions unless (or should I say when) trouble arises. Then he'll take a glance at the manual. Although sometimes this is too late!

Anyway, there's a lazy susan shelf unit in our kitchen pantry that has been stained and cracked since we first moved to Los Gatos. For years I've been looking for replacement parts. I finally realized I'd have to take the whole thing apart just to figure out what parts I actually needed. So, once I got the contraption disassembled I starting searching online.

I ordered new parts and crossed my fingers I'd still remember how to put it all back together when the parts arrived in 2 weeks. They came and ...I conquered! Yes! Only now I can't figure out why it took me so long to get around to fixing it! It's a big improvement.

And, Brent even offered his assistance while I was putting it back together. Although he was probably relieved that I didn't take him up on the offer.