Monday, February 7, 2011

Water, Water, Everywhere!

"Water is the only drink for a wise man." -Henry David Thoreau

I'm trying to become a heavy drinker. Of water, that is! I'm well aware of all the purported health benefits of drinking lots of water but it still trips me up, year after year.

Drinking enough water is one of my "I know better than I do" issues. I know it's an essential nutrient. I know I should gulp through a recommended 64 ounces per day. I know it's good for my skin, my metabolism, my digestion, my health generally. But I do have a hard time with implementation.

So I'm on a bit of a quest. I'm trying really hard to drink a minimum of 8 glasses a day. To pull off this heroic (for me) feat, I purchased a fine looking pitcher that I'm filling with H2O every morning. Then, I use the pitcher to refill my state-of-the-art Bobble (thanks Anna!) water bottle. At the end of the day, it keeps me honest since I can see how much I drank versus estimating a guess.

So far, I'm doing okay. But I've had to build up to my target amount. Initially it wasn't exactly torture but it wasn't enticing either. I didn't enjoy the taste of water at first, too many years of soda consumption to detox from! But after a week into this gig I'm actually starting to like drinking plain old water. Although my restroom pit stops have increased but that's probably more information than you want!

I don't know if my "Just Drink It" water campaign will be the panacea I'm banking on but it certainly can't hurt. Three cheers for good hydration!