Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Good Samaritans on Steroids....

For Bookgroup last night we read "The Day The World Came To Town" by Jim DeFede. The book showcases the wonderful people in the small town of Gander, Newfoundland, Canada who open their doors and their hearts to over 6500 people when 38 airplanes were rerouted on 9/11 after all America airspace was closed down.

Gander itself only has a population of around 10,000 people and the stories of this community stepping in to help the stranded passengers is touching. I recommend the book to anyone, especially if you like reading about charity in action.

With all the tragic stories that came out of 9/11, some of the books published were too heartbreaking to read. But this book brings out the tremendous "good" that sometimes comes out of "evil."

It shows a side to tragedy when people rescue strangers in need without any motivation for gain or recognition. It shows the very best of humanity!

I was inspired by the compassion and warmth of the citizens of Gander. Their generous response made me stop and consider how I might have reacted. Would I be willing to drop whatever I was doing to help? Would Los Gatos, as a community, 3 times the size of Gander, reach out to others if we were in a similar position? Is our pace here too busy?

It also made me pause to think about the stranded passengers; an eclectic group of people thrown together who bond from the experience. But, again, if I'd been on one of those flights would I have been as resilient? Appreciative? Would I express my gratitude to the Gander residents for their service? Or would I whine and complain?

A quote from the book's introduction sums up how fabulous this community was: "They placed their lives on hold for a group of strangers and asked for nothing in return. They affirmed the basic goodness of man at a time when it was easy to doubt such humanity existed. If the terrorists had hoped their attacks would reveal the weaknesses in western society, the events in Gander proved it's strength." -Jim Defede