Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Boost of Encouragement...

“We should carry jumper and tow cables not only in our cars, but also in our hearts, by which we can send the needed boost or charge of encouragement or the added momentum to mortal neighbors.” -Neal Maxwell

Yesterday I could have used a set of jumper cables for the heart. Not for my heart, but someone who needed a boost. Instead I struggled coming up with helpful words of encouragement.

When I read the Neal Maxwell quote it sounds simple enough. And when everything is going swimmingly, it’s actually not so tough to jumpstart and give others a boost. But when I’m frustrated myself or even just busy, it’s a bigger challenge to muster up the energy and the inclination to be service oriented.

So, what sounds pretty basic can actually be tricky. And yesterday I was at a loss as to how to fix things. Maybe I need to learn that there are some things I can’t change or fix but I can still find ways to boost, encourage, and show compassion for others.

“If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” -Dalai Lama