Tuesday, July 19, 2011

By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them...

“By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them.” -Matthew 7:20

Some women have big hearts and I’m grateful they teach me to be better and kinder by their actions (ie. by their fruits or variation thereof). Two recent examples show how lucky I am to have friends and women to look up to.

First, last month I inherited a big watermelon bowl from Carol Williams. Carol is alive and kicking but she’s been sorting and purging “stuff”(downsizing). Once I commented on a darling watermelon bowl she’d brought to a church function. Since Carol knew I liked the bowl and furthermore, that I love watermelon, she decided the bowl would find a good home in my cupboard. Naturally, I’m honored to receive it, albeit a little embarrassed that I coveted her bowl to the point that she’s given it to me.

Then, at Vicki Hodgman’s impromptu BBQ on the weekend, I commented on her cool kitchen gadget that scoops the stems off strawberries. I’d never seen such an item. Since Vicki had two of them (she would), she generously offered one to me. But I felt a like a mooch to actually take it, particularly since we came empty handed and were fed a delicious dinner! But, the next day I found the funky tool after Vicki snuck it into my bag at church.

It seems that I am walking proof that sometimes when you tell nice people you like something, they will insist that you take ownership! Or perhaps I appear a little needy or pathetic. Actually, I’m just fortunate to have people in my life who are generous to a fault, parting of their own supplies, much to my benefit, both in substance but mostly in inspiration! Or, to quote an old country song: “Little things mean a lot!”