Friday, July 1, 2011

Slow & Steady......

"Actually, you can be bad at something . . . but if you love doing it, that will be enough." -August Boatwright in The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd

I'm not a particularly fast runner. Okay, I’m actually slow. But the older I get, the more I’m okay with that. Like the quote above, loving it is enough.

There is nothing like a track workout to confirm my lack of sprinting genes. The Lululemon running group had a track workout Wednesday night at the high school. Most of the runners I’m ahead of in distance runs can easily sprint past me on the track. Sheesh!

I also find it hard to switch up my pace. If one lap is supposed to be a full push and the next a recovery lap, my laps don’t have the variance they probably should.

The bottom line is simply that track workouts are humbling for distance runners. Especially old (and way past their peak) distance runners. Just the same, I still love to run!

"It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop." -Confucious