Saturday, July 23, 2011

In Motion (sickness that is)

Lately I’m generally driving the car instead of riding as a passenger so it’s been a long time since I've dealt with motion sickness. So long, in fact, I thought I might have outgrown the syndrome.

The last time my ailment was a problem was riding home from girl’s camp in Anita’s BMW over ten years ago. Anita and Teresa Richardson were in the front seat and I was in the back getting more nauseous at every turn but trying my darnedest to hold it together. Finally, I had to have Anita pull over and I promptly lost my dinner in the gutter (but saved the car, whew!). And the time before that was my infamous (to the whole family) grand exit from Space Mountain at Disneyland where I lost my lunch in the nearest trash can.

Apparently, a car (or amusement ride) on a winding trajectory stills wreak havoc on my sensitive stomach. On Thursday we filled Brian Kingsbury’s car with people and props for girl’s camp and headed for the mountains. Halfway up the shortcut way (translated: trading distance for winding roads) I started to feel beads of sweat and soon the queasiness set in. By our arrival at camp my t shirt was completely drenched but the nausea passed quickly. Or, at least until the drive home. During that stretch Paige was in the middle seat and covered for my predicament by keeping the friendly chatter going so no one realized I was on the verge of vomiting in Paige’s lululemon bag.

I guess if I get butterflies from swing sets I’m not likely going to ever outgrow my propensity for motion sickness. Clearly I have a sensitive stomach! Clearly I will not be a passenger in another car going to girl’s camp for a long time. It’s only behind the wheel for me in winding road car trips, although I’d still like to see if I can conquer Space Mountain on our next visit to the happiest place on earth!