Friday, July 29, 2011

Get Over It...

“If you don’t like something, change it.
If you can’t change it, change your attitude.” -Maya Angelou

Since Liz Walton is one of the kindest people on the planet, my ears perk up if Liz says anything with an edge or bite to it. Just like I notice sarcasm more when spoken by someone who doesn’t wallow in it.

So, I particularly liked some of Liz’s comments at the youth fireside Sunday night about working with young missionaries. Liz didn’t have a lot of sympathy for elders who whined about how strange and different things were in Portugal. Liz used both of the phrases “get over it” and “it’s not about you” to refer to her feelings about complainers.

Since missions are almost a little microcosm of life itself, I think there is a great message in these two maxims. In fact, they are probably apropos relative to many things we whine about in life generally. I can think of many occasions that these quips were exactly what I needed to hear for a good old reality check.

It’s easy for any of us to feel put out or bothered when things don’t go our way or when change disrupts life as we’ve come to know it. But getting angry when things aren’t fair or plans don’t conform to our wishes is at the heart of the center-of-the universe syndrome. The sooner I can catch myself and remember that it isn’t all about me, the better!

“Get mad. Then get over it.” -Colin Powell