Friday, August 19, 2011

Grammy: short on criticism, long on love!

“There were two things about Mama. One is she always expected the best out of me. And the other is that then no matter what I did, whatever I came home with, she acted like it was the moon I had just hung in the sky and plugged in all the stars. Like I was that good.” -Barbara Kingsolver, The Bean Trees

Kingsolver’s description of Mama in The Bean Trees reminds me of Grammy! Anything Grammy’s grandchildren do is beyond spectacular. Yes, Grammy is a bit bragadocious when it comes to her grandkids. And, like Mama, Grammy also expects her kids and her grandkids to always do the right/best things!

I remember meeting Gramps and Grammy’s home teachers randomly on a boat ride in St. Petersburg, Russia five years ago and when they figured out who we were, the home teacher’s wife exclaimed: “Oh, I’ve heard ALL ABOUT your family!” And I am quite sure that was not an understatement!

Yes, Grammy takes a lot of pride in believing her grandkids are exceptional and extraordinary in every way. Her neighbors probably get a real earful if they happen to ask how any of the grandkids are doing.

But, since it’s Grammy birthday today, I won’t disparage or be too harsh on her incessant pride and just note that Grammy is also the quintessential grandmother figure. We’re are lucky to be related, even if she’s a bit of a shameless braggart about her practically perfect grandchildren!

“What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies! -Rudolph Guiliani