Monday, August 8, 2011

A Happiness Flow Chart

“In about the same degree that you are helpful, you will be happy.” -Karl Reiland

I used the Happiness Flow Chart on the left for a Relief Society lesson I gave in July. The lesson material came from a General Conference Talk by President Eyring called “Opportunities to Do Good.”

I love this flow chart because it breaks things down to the basics. First of all, are you happy? If yes: keep doing whatever you’re doing. Simple enough. And I would argue or affirm that if you are happy then you are likely doing good (since there is a strong correlation between people who serve others and people who are happy).

If you aren’t happy, do you want to be? If not, you can also keep doing whatever you are doing (which isn’t likely much serving).

Finally, if you aren’t happy and you would like to be, change something. Again, fairly straight forward. And I'd vote for the change to be, you guessed it, serving others.

For Family Home Evening last night Dad and I were the only ones home so he insisted I give the lesson I’d shared in Relief Society. Things were going along swimmingly when you can imagine what happened....that’s right, Dad fell asleep! Oops! I’m not sure whether it’s a reflection on my lousy teaching skills or a very tired Bishop at the end of a long day. And I’m not sure who was more embarrassed: me as the put-you-to-sleep-teacher or my errant pupil.

So much for an engaging lesson! Dad’s trying hard to spin his lesson time nap in a positive light. For example, later on he told Paige his nodding off was a compliment because he was so relaxed. Yeah, yeah. He is just lucky that because I was serving (giving the lesson) I was in a happy state of mind. Otherwise he might still be in the dog house.

“Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.” -Seneca