Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I Think, Therefore I Am!

"How few would believe that from sources purely imaginary such happiness could be derived! ...What a treasure is thought! What a privilege is reverie! I am thankful I have the power of solacing myself with the dream of creations ... May I never lose that power, may I never feel it grow weaker." - from the diaries of Charlotte Bronte

One casualty of a busy lifestyle might be that we don't leave time to simply be thoughtful! Even as someone who loves time to think and wind down, I find it’s easy to overschedule and not leave windows where I can enjoy peace and solitude.

In fact, sometimes silence makes people uncomfortable. When I’m running with friends the chatter is fine (and often a nice distraction) but I don’t mind long stretches of quiet on the trail either. Although it makes some runners nervous if every space isn’t filled with noise.

Like Charlotte Bronte, I treasure thought. I’m more recharged by quiet, which probably speaks to my introversion. The good part of enjoying solitude is that even if I’m home alone, I never feel lonely!

“The happiest of all lives is a busy solitude.” -Voltaire