Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Lunatic Watch Repairman is driving me CRAZY!

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." - Lewis Carroll

I think I am going a little mad! I KNOW I have seen what "crazy" looks like!

So, it seems that Webb's Broken NIXON Watch is being held Hostage!

After Webb' graduation in May I brought his broken watch home with a plan to: a) get it fixed locally, or b) send it to Nixon Watches for customer repair. Since I have a local guy I've used for years to replace watch batteries, take out links in a watchband, etc., it seemed like a reasonable "Mom Errand" to me. All in a day's work!

In the past I'd WAIT for the repair, pay, and leave WITH my watch. But this time the shop was busy and the Watch Repairman thought things looked more complicated. He suggested I leave the watch which was my first big mistake!

It has been over 3 months and I'm desperately trying to get the watch back (fixed or not at this point). Initially I was told it was repaired but when I went in to pick it up he fudged...something about the replacement part being bad. Then, he turned the watch over to an "expert" who purportedly has the watch in His Possession. Personally I think this other guy/expert is a figment of the repairman's imagination or an alter ego of himself. I get the same story every time I call (which is practically daily). Basically, he claims the expert guy is coming in later that day (which never happens) bringing the Nixon watch among others (guess I'm not the only watch owner involved in the ruse)!

Despite my badgering I'm having NO LUCK! I should know that reasoning with CRAZY PEOPLE is a little, ...well, CRAZY! I've pleaded: "My son will be in town this weekend" or "It's my son's birthday in 3 days" or "My daughters are going down to LA - they could deliver it!" No matter how desperate or anxious I sound, this nutcase repair guy nonchalantly repeats his suspect story!

I can't decide whether he LOST the watch and keeps hoping it will turn up OR whether he wants me to VALIDATE the complexity of watch repair (ie. you are an amazing, brilliant man to be able to bring dead watches back to life!) But the guy is just weird! Although, if you think about it, couldn't any sane person eventually go BONKERS looking at minuscule screws and bolts 24/7?! Gosh, I'm practically insane just from the whole experience! Stay tuned for updates, ransom notes for the watch, etc.!