Wednesday, August 12, 2009

When it Rains, It Pours!

"I do not believe that sheer suffering teaches. If suffering alone taught, all the world would be wise, since everyone suffers. To suffering must be added mourning, understanding, patience, love, openness and the willingness to remain vulnerable." -Anne Morrow Lindbergh

On a scale of 1 to 10; if the dumb quote yesterday is a negative digit, today is a plus 10! There isn't a lot I can add or expound upon. Except that I wholeheartedly agree with Lindbergh's wisdom! No one escapes this journey through life unscathed. Challenges and adversity test all of us along the way!

When something in our life feels bleak it is terribly disheartening when it gets worse before it gets better! It Feels Relentless!

But as much as everyone Hates to hear it; the line Coaches use is actually True: We do Learn more from Losing than Winning. But, like the Lindbergh quote, we only learn from Losing/Suffering when we open ourselves up to the Lessons. Which is not easy because no one is much in the mood to open our hearts to listen and learn when things are not working out.

As a child my Mom never let me sulk for long. She made me memorize a little ditty that is trite but still insightful! It went like this: "The Guy that's Worthwhile, is the Guy that can Smile, when Everything goes Dead Wrong." And I was summoned to recite it if I was moping around (which I'm sure I did with a pouty face!).

The best news about the "When it Rains, It Pours" refrain is the fact that it Works in Both Directions! When the tides turn and Good Things start happening; they usually come in droves and abundance as well! Thank goodness for that!