Sunday, November 15, 2009

"Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones. Now hear the word of the Lord."

"The Thigh Bone's connected to the Hip Bone...."

The days of helping my kids with their homework are soooo over! A few years back I could give it a shot. And, for a lit. class or paper edits, I occasionally had something to contribute.

But, when it comes to a course like Anatomy (which Paige is currently taking at BYU) my assistance would be a joke! My vast knowledge of human anatomy has been gleaned from some sources like Dem Bones (the folk song above), Milton Bradley's Operation Game, and the "CSI" (Crime Scene Investigation) TV shows!

Yep, I think Paige will do better on her own than to have me tutor her on connective tissues and muscular structure. I still refer to the Funny Bone, Charlie Horse, or Adam's Apple; thanks to the fine surgical specimen from the Operation game! Furthermore, that dude always ended up in the morgue (cadaver status) when I got through with him! (lousy dexterity)

Children surpassing their parents in skills and knowledge are always "bittersweet" moments! I'd like to believe I have a slight edge in the "wisdom" department (since I'd argue that true wisdom can only be gained over time...loooong periods of time - let's say fiftyish years minimum!). Outside my wise-old-owl commentary, I think my kids have exceeded my abilities tenfold in every category!

In sports it doesn't really count for much that they've gone beyond my prowess! I'm borderline retarded (whoops, Andie don't have a cow - I just mean developmentally delayed which is not derogatory - or, at least I'm referring to my own limitations and not calling anyone else that) with my athleticism (or lack thereof).

With knowledge I was probably surpassed by my kids after kindergarten but I wasn't willing to admit it until they left elementary education! For a few years it worked to claim they taught math differently or changed the rules in grammar. Now, my kids just give you that "yeah, sure" look if I try those excuses and roll their eyes at my incompetence.

So, it's mostly "sweet" (hallelujah, thank goodness) that my kids have all outdone their ignoramus mother! It's just a little "bitter" because you realize that once you've been surpassed; now who can you boss around?