Sunday, November 1, 2009

Costume Challenged!

Halloween Costumes have never been my forte! Outfitting 3 kids every year in the "desires of their heart" (which sometimes changed AFTER you'd bought or sewn Plan A) was hard enough for me! Coming up with a costume for "the mom," could put me over the edge! So, I usually tried to go with the Halloween Color Scheme and call it a day!

The whole "dress up," and "disguise," is a little out of my comfort zone. I'm a little too self conscious to do justice to most costumes. My thespian talent is nonexistent and dressed up in costume I feel on display which is a little unnerving.

Too itchy. Too poofy. Too tight. Too frilly. Too dorky. Too awkward. I've claimed every excuse to avoid sporting this or that costume! Basically I don't even like to wear turtlenecks; the neck is too help-I-can't-breathe-confining. So the leap from a ski turtleneck to a full out costume could cause a full out panic attack!

I realize that some people/most people love the chance to reinvent themselves; go incognito, transgender dress, anything goes! Halloween can be our big moment to finally be the cheerleader, or the floozie (wait, is that the same thing?) (just kidding!)

Every year I see a few clever, feasible costumes and I rethink my stubborn refusal to dress up! Next year, I wonder... Yeah, next year I'll work up the nerve! Hmmm....I could probably wear 'this' or be 'that'! But, sure enough, 'next year' rolls around, and out comes my orange V-neck sweater and black pants! Again!