Thursday, November 12, 2009

It Could Always "BEE" Worse!

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." - Muhammad Ali

Running the "dam" (up to Lexington Reservoir and back) has the usual occupational hazards but it's a relatively safe trail. Over the years we've seen a few bobcats but no mountain lions. The hills are steep but not treacherous the path is clear of poison oak, and the parks and rec department upgrades and adds gravel as needed.

But suddenly, Brent and I have both been stung by bees out running the "dam"! At different times but both on our backs. Both on the same section of the trail. And neither of us has EVER been stung by a bee while running before. Ever! What a random and strange coincidence!

But! It could always "bee" worse! Two examples of "worse": First, neither of us are not allergic to bees! Which, it turns out that Grammy is! She was stung last month in their yard, her blood pressure dropped, she fainted and broke her ankle. Ouch! Now, that is worse! Poor Grammy!

Second, the same day I was stung I was running with Anita and a half mile later she caught an edge with her foot which led to a major wipe out! A road-rash-everywhere-kind of wipe-out! Ouch! My bee sting immediately felt small potatoes compared to Anita's bleeding scrapes and swells!

So, poor Anita and Grammy both had it worse! I'll remind myself of that when the sting is still itching and bugging (pun intended) me! Where would we "bee" without perspective, right?

"When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad....I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad!" -The Sound of Music