Saturday, November 7, 2009

Inquiry is the Birthplace of Testimony!

President Uchtdorf Fireside Notes, Part 2:

After President Uchtdorf's Self Worth/Ugly Duckling comments, he addressed some questions the 1st Presidency receives from young adults. One was basically questioning if it is okay to Question our Beliefs?

I liked the way President Uchtdorf answered that our church got it's start because Joseph Smith asked questions! (Good Answer!) He stated that we are/should be a question-asking people because that is how we can discover truth.

President Uchtdorf stated: "Inquiry is the birthplace of testimony. Asking questions isn't a sign of weakness; it's a precursor of growth. Searching for answers to your questions can bring you closer to Father in Heaven, strengthening your testimony rather than shaking it."

I've learned that this CAN be true BUT there is an important caveat (and President Uchtdorf did note it as well). Asking questions is good, focusing on doubts...not so good! If we sincerely want answers then we should seek them earnestly.

For example, if someone wanted to know things about me they could ask my friends (who would slant things favorably - at least you'd hope) or my foes (who would taint things/happily disparage me). Neither would be unbiased; inherently both would have their "take on me" based on THEIR EXPERIENCES! So, I'd prefer someone to actually spend time WITH ME (me, personally) and form their own conclusions! And not be clouded on assumptions held by others.

So, in order to "question" or learn about spiritual beliefs the best approach is to personally ask (prayer) and to personally study (the scriptures is the best source). Seeking conclusions and answers espoused by others is more likely to lead us down a path of never ending inquiry (simply because so many spiritual things are unanswerable on a intellectual level).

I can't apply the same approach to spiritual reasoning that I would to acquisition of general knowledge. With spiritual things, outside research just develops doubts in every direction! I've tried both models; the 1st model, questioning via the Doubting Thomas Approach and the 2nd model, questioning like Joseph Smith did(James 3:5,6). One leaves me with more conundrums and further confused; the other leads me to a calm sense of peace and a desire to do good!