Friday, November 20, 2009

Here Comes the Brid(al Shower)!

Last night we had Karen Hulme's Bridal Shower. Kathy Pulley, Bev McCleve and I hosted. Since I did the invites and home, Kathy and Bev handled all the food. It's always fun to team up with two women I greatly admire!

The invite list was large so we decided to go for an Open House/Drop In style and bag games altogether. Everyone seemed quite relieved that we weren't going to corner them and force a game of unscrambling words or scribbling down marital advice, etc.

Shower games are funny; most people disdain playing them but hosts often feel remiss if they don't have at least one gratuitous "filler" game to display they've made effort. And some games are fun the first time but after making the rounds they get a little old. For example, I played a Baby Shower game years ago where you gave diapers a "smell" test and guessed what was inside (maybe a melted snickers bar, maybe teriyaki sauce, etc.). It was clever once but it showed up at the next half dozen baby showers I attended and I couldn't bear to "smell" test another baby diaper! Ever!

Finally, before any "bride" becomes a "wife" she should definitely read this Shel Silverstein poem and make sure her "betrothed" isn't quite so demanding! We met Karen's fiance, Enio, tonight and he seems like a very nice guy!
My Rules
If you want to marry me, here's what you'll have to do:
You must learn how to make a perfect chicken dumpling stew.
And you must sew my holey socks, And soothe my troubled mind,
And develop the knack for scratching my back, And keep my shoes spotlessly shined.
And while I rest you must rake up the leaves, And when it is hailing and snowing,
You must shovel the walk...and be still when I talk, And - hey - where are you going?