Wednesday, November 18, 2009

...Everybody's Talkin' 'bout the New Sound, Funny, but it's Still Rock and Roll to Me!

(Supposed To Be) In Concert, Tuesday, November 19th, Billy Joel and Elton John!

We were officially STOOD UP! We bought tickets months ago, then two days before the show, Billy Joel gets sick. Two weeks ago they canceled performances in their tour because Elton John had E coli. I am one very disappointed fan!

In my high school/college days these two musicians were my favorites! I saw Elton John in concert in the Salt Palace in a flamboyant red, white and blue sequined suit with a flashy white grand piano. I saw Billy Joel in Kingsbury Hall and my seat was so close you could see beads of sweat on his face during songs where his hands got a workout moving all over the piano.

I knew every single word to every single Billy Joel song! My freshman roommate, Shelly Hansen (now Shelly Tingey) and I used our curling irons as microphones and entertained the dorm with our Billy Joel obsession! Some of the BYU students weren't sure what to think of the wild and crazy girls from Salt Lake! When it came to Billy Joel, we were both a little out of control!

My Elton John devotion wasn't much more discreet! "But the biggest kick I ever got, was doing a thing called the Crocodile Rock. While the other kids were Rocking Round the Clock, we were hopping and bopping to the Crocodile Rock!" Again, every song, every word - I have them down by heart!

Post college, Brent and I saw Billy Joel play in the Boston Garden when Joel was dating Christie Brinkley. We had floor seats and Christie was a few rows in front of us and joined Joel on stage (at the drums) when he sang "Uptown Girl." She looked gorgeous! Awesome memory!

I hope we don't have to wait too long for the concert date to be rescheduled! Otherwise, I just might go crazy! "You may be right, I may be crazy. But it jut may be a lunatic you're looking for...."