Friday, June 25, 2010

29 years later...

Caption for the photo: "Hmm...This guy looks interesting. I think I'd like to spend the rest of my life (and then some) with him!"

Before Brent and I were married but we were engaged I remember one very distinct impression I had about "us." It hit me that while anyone we marry leaves all sorts of unknowns about the future, there was one thing I was pretty certain about: Being married to Brent assured that life would never be boring!

This has been true is the best sense of the phrase! In 29 years, our life together has been a great adventure (and never dull). And Brent gets the credit for that! He's more the thrill seeker (let's do it!) and I'm the naysayer (but what about this? or, what if that?)

But I think we'd agree that we make a good team! Our different strengths probably save each other at times! Maybe Brent becomes a little more judicious when I dole out (unsolicited) input and maybe I'm a little more open to branch out of my routines when his schemes and ideas aren't too harebrained!

When Al and Tipper Gore announced their plans to divorce after 40 years of marriage, it seemed so strange to me. At this point of life when partners have been through so much together and have such shared history, not to mention posterity, a separation seems like an amputation.

For me, there is such a comfort in growing old together: someone who knew me before all the wrinkles! Although, take note: Brent's not aging much - he can still touch his toes (apparently at any random time!).

"Our wedding was many years ago. The celebration continues to this day." -Gene Perret