Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Doctoral Dissertations...

"Some folks are wise and some are otherwise." -Tobias Smollett

Andie's Santa Clara University Commencement last Friday night was in honor of graduate students; the undergraduate exercises were held Saturday. So, in that room full of MA's and PhD.'s, I tried to soak up a little of that brain power floating all around!

5 PhD. candidates were recognized by announcing the thesis or title of their doctoral dissertation.

Here is the exact wording of 1 of those dissertations (the others were similar): "Vertically Aligned Carbon Nanofiber Microbrush Array and Single Multi-walled Carbon Nanotube Electrode for Electrophysiological Probing of Electrically Active Cells."

Really? I have absolutely no idea what this dissertation is about. Some guy spent years researching this but it sounds like jabberwocky to me! The thought of actually trying to read the thesis makes my head hurt!

My incompetence and insecurity flairs up if I'm surrounded by engineering PhD.'s. Fortunately, I learned the Will Roger's quote early in life and it has been a good fallback: "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Whether it is true or not, it makes me feel a tiny bit better (though not really any smarter)!