Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Greatest Coach of All Time!

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -John Wooden

When it comes to basketball I'm a "John" girl (with the Beatles I'm a "Paul" girl but that's another post)! Two of my all-time favorites in the basketball world are John Stockton and John Wooden.

John Wooden died last week, 5 months shy of his 100th birthday! What a classy guy! And awesome Coach! I hope he will be remembered because he leaves a wonderful legacy!

During the John Wooden Era at UCLA (10 national NCAA titles - best record ever), he passed up an offer to coach the LA Lakers that would have increased his salary tenfold. In later years the joke was told that he made more money from one speaking engagement than he made during an entire UCLA basketball season! He never asked for a raise!

At his grammer school graduation, John Wooden's father gave him a Seven Point Creed to live by. From all of I know of Coach Wooden, I'd say he put it to good practice! The 7 points are:

1. Be True to Yourself.
2. Make Each Day Your Masterpiece.
3. Help Others.
4. Drink Deeply from Good Books, especially the Bible.
5. Make Friendship a Fine Art.
6. Build a Shelter against a Rainy Day.
7. Pray for Guidance and Give Thanks for your Blessings Every Day.

Coach Wooden understood that sports are not the end-all-be-all! He said: "I have always tried to make it clear that basketball is not the ultimate. It is of small importance in comparison to the total life we live. There is only one kind of life that truly wins, and that is the one that places faith in the hands of the Savior."

John Wooden's faith was important; I believe you could see it in his countenance. He once said: "If I were ever prosecuted for my religion, I truly hope there would be enough evidence to convict me." What a guy!