Thursday, June 24, 2010

Guardian Angels...

"God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs." -President Spencer W. Kimball

Watching the Judge Bostwick interview (yesterday's post) reminded me of a faith promoting experience in my life.

There are so many memories of working with Jeff and Mary Bostwick in church settings but one encounter is tender and it nearly always brings tears to my eyes. It's actually a personal testimony to me; of the priesthood, of God's love for us, and how he manifests that love (through others!).

The short(ish) story: In 1989, when Webb was burned at the La Jolla YMCA my friend, Peggy Hammond, took Andie while Paige and I rode in the ambulance with Webb to the UCSD Burn Center. Peggy called one of my friends in the church who called Bishop Bostwick. Since Brent was out of town for the day and not due back until evening, I was feeling scared and alone. Terrified is probably more accurate.

I was trying to hold myself together at the hospital while Webb was screaming in pain. Suddenly Bishop Bostwick and his counselor, John Skousen, miraculously appeared at the UCSD hospital. They heard of our situation and came directly. Standing in the doorway in that instant they looked more like angels than men!

The moment I saw them I went from trying oh-so-hard to be brave to literally falling apart. It might have been the most dramatic cryfest I've ever indulged in! Here I hadn't even had time to collect my wits enough to think about getting a priesthood blessing for Webb and without missing a heartbeat, the priesthood walked in!

Bishop Bostwick and John administered to Webb, as well as to his hysterical mother. Which totally calmed me down (whew!) and left an indelible memory on my soul!

I'm sure over the course of all the ministering Bishops do it might be something Bishop Bostwick and John barely remember (although witnessing a total meltdown like I had might be hard to forget!). But, their timing (immediate) and their gestures (offering blessings and anything we needed) meant the world to me and literally "saved the day" until Brent returned and was similarly wonderful in using his priesthood and dad skills to navigate our family through the crisis!

It was a small moment; a relatively standard procedure in the church. I suppose it was one of the occasions that found me on the opposite end of charity. Who doesn't prefer to deliver service than need it? But, it made me acutely aware of how times of adversity (when emotions are so fragile) can bring great blessings of faith and understanding of how mindful Heavenly Father is of our individual needs.