Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Father's Love...

"There's something like a line of gold thread running through a man's words when he talks to his daughter, and gradually over the years it gets to be long enough for you to pick up in your hands and weave into a cloth that feels like love itself. -John Gregory Brown, Decorations in a Ruined Cemetery

My kids are awfully fortunate to have a dad who adores them and cares about them 24/7! Brent's an easy candidate to pay tribute to on Father's Day; he gives his heart and soul to the job!

Of all Brent's stellar qualities, one I believe has been a blessing for our family is the honor he has for the priesthood he holds. My kids are lucky to be recipients of Father's Blessings over the years, for school year starts, new job, illness, comfort, etc.

Elder Russell Ballard gave such a good talk last year at the General Priesthood Meeting (which I didn't attend but studied the talk in the November Ensign) that I wanted to highlight
3 simple things kids can do to Honor their Fathers.

#1: Trust your Father. While no dads are perfect, dads want their kids to be happy and successful. Dads would never do anything they don't think is in the best interest of their children!

#2: Take an interest in your Father's life. Ask your Dad questions. Ask him about his job, his interests, and his goals. Watch how he treats others and watch how how he performs his Church callings.

#3: Ask your Father for advice. Elder Ballard points out that fathers will probably give you advice whether you ask for it or not (so why not make this process easier by asking). Asking for his counsel on school, church, sports, dating, etc. shows you value his ideas. Fathers who are asked for advice will try harder to give good counsel and are usually more motivated to strive to be better fathers and better men.

Besides the dad of my children (Brent), I'm also grateful to have a dad (Gramps) who also puts family first. I admire Gramp's core values. He's just a simple guy with simple needs. Looking at Elder Ballard's suggestions I can say that I have always trusted Gramps implicitly but I could improve on asking his advice and in taking an interest in his life. Those are good goals for me to work on!

Happy Father's Day to Exemplary Dads Everywhere!