Saturday, June 5, 2010

Schools Out For Summer!

"To love what you do and feel it matters, how could anything be more fun?" -Katherine Graham


Friday was the last day of Seminary! This school year went by so fast!

I have loved teaching The Book of Mormon! I have loved seeing these darling youth in the mornings! I know the youth will be thrilled to sleep in and be done with early morning Seminary but I can't imagine a better way to start their school day!

After our annual Seminary Breakfast on Friday I had a huge lump in my throat! Every time I think about Seminary the lump returns! Even my eyes get a little teary. So, when did I become such a big baby?

I hope the youth will be blessed for making the effort to come to early morning Seminary. I know I have been richly blessed! I'm so impressed by what great kids these Seminary students are!

When Apostle Neal A. Maxwell addressed Seminary & Institute teachers in 1982, he said:

"Each of you realizes that you teach what you are. It is that lesson in the memories of your students which will outlast all other lessons that you will teach. You, as a person, can bulk large in the memory of your students. Your teaching techniques will be secondary to what you are as an individual. Your traits will be more remembered, compositely, than a particular truth in a particular lesson.

This is as it should be, for if our discipleship is serious, it will show, and it will be remembered...You can't be a successful teacher in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, nor can I, if things are not right in our eternal callings."

I've kept Elder Maxwell's quote in my teaching binder and tried to take it to heart. It was a good reminder that I can't be a good teacher unless I am a good person and someone who honors the covenants I've made.

Elder Maxwell always says it well! His words were a guiding force for me in a great journey! Teaching Seminary has got to be one of the best callings in the church! Bar none!