Monday, May 2, 2011

Embrace it with all your heart....

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, a Pulitzer prize winning historian and professor at Harvard, who also happens to be a Mormon, once said: “If you find any earthly institution that is ten percent divine, embrace it with all your heart.”

Ulrich’s quote resonates with me because I find so much divine about our church and even more divinity in the gospel. So, while the church and the gospel aren’t perfect, they work for me. I’ve embraced them my entire life and found that they really do feed my soul.

I’m grateful for the spirit we can draw upon as we strive to live faithfully. I appreciate the way church members set an example for me in imparting service. I’ve been blessed by the scriptures that nourish and enrich my testimony.

As I get older I realize that the gospel and the church suit me. As a person who likes a good routine, they suit my nature. As a person who likes mentors, there are always plenty to find within the church. Striving to live the commandments makes me happy. The gospel gives my life greater purpose and meaning.

All organizations have inherent flaws. No church is perfect but I’ve found plenty of the divine and embracing it has been a blessing in my life! Yesterday was Fast Sunday and I considered bearing a public testimony and then proceeded to chicken out. But Laurel Ulrich’s quote was swirling through my head during the meeting. Yes, embracing the divine has been good for my heart and my soul!