Sunday, May 1, 2011

Mormon Helping Hands...

“There may be those who, after many years of Church service believe they are entitled to a period of rest while others pull the weight.

While the phrase ‘been there, done that’ may work as an excuse to avoid skateboarding, decline the invitation for a motorbike ride, or bypass the spicy curry at the buffet, it is not an acceptable excuse for avoiding covenant responsibilities to consecrate our time, talents, and resources in the work of the kingdom of God.” -Dieter F. Uchdorf, Ensign magazine, November 2009

This was the 2nd year for “Mormon Helping Hands” California Day of Service. Los Gatos Ward members were sent to different sites in town and I was spreading mulch at the YSI (the Youth Science Institute).

Spreading mulch sounds easy but you’ve got to fill your wheelbarrow with a pitchfork from a gigantic mound of mulch, roll to a needed spot, dump the mulch and spread it around. Initially it feels like you’ll never put a dent in the pile but after a few hours the huge mound starts to vanish.

It also gets tedious and tiring but every time I considered taking a break I just had to glance at the next mound over and the sight of three men kept me on task. Howard Bennion (84 years old), Phil Gubler (80 years old), and Kent Salmond (76 years old), were donning big sun hats and plugging away all morning long. If I sat around while they labored, I’d feel like a real wimp.

It was touching to watch these three high priests who could have let the younger ward members handle the service project. But they’re all the kind of men who pitch up whenever they’re asked and help until the work is complete. I wish I ‘d taken a picture of them.

Their efforts reminded me of the conference talk two years ago when President Uchtdorf gently explained that we don’t ever really get to retire from church callings. I hope when I’m 80 I’ll still show up at service projects and work as hard as the teenagers. Service and hard work seem like pretty good antidotes to aging!

“How I admire men, women, and children who know how to work! ....Those who are unafraid to roll up their sleeve and lose themselves in the pursuit of worthwhile goals are a blessing to their families, communitities, nations, and to the Church.” - President Dieter F. Uchdorf, Ensign magazine, November 2009