Friday, May 6, 2011

Mothers & Daughters, Daughters & Mothers...

“Even when all the paperwork - a marriage license, a notarized deed, two birth certificates, and seven years of tax returns - clearly indicates you’re an adult, but all the same, there you are, clutching the phone and thanking God that you’re still somebody’s daughter.” -Kelly Corrigan, The Middle Place

Yes, even though I have two daughters of my own (and a cute son), there are still those times when I’m grateful to be a daughter too.

In a few of life’s scarier moment’s (Webb’s burned arm incident 21 years ago comes to mind), if Brent isn’t available, the next go-to person I immediately think to call is my mom. It’s almost reflexive. And it probably applies to the lows (SOS and frightening things) as well as the highs (I did it! or Guess what?). Life’s ups and downs; both instinctually have me calling home (just like ET).

Also, for the good and the not-so-good, whenever I’m around my mom, I can easily, almost subconsciously, revert easily back to the daughter role. I barely notice the slip from parent to child behavior. Although in the last few years, with aging parents, there is a bit of a shift. Pulling off the helpless child feels a bit, um, childish, when my parents are slowing down and I can actually (finally) be helpful to them. New terrain, unchartered territory!

But regardless of my maturity level (or lack thereof), it’s always been reassuring to have someone out there who thinks I’m the cat’s meow (like only a mother can). Not everyone at my (advancing) age (or even those younger) still has their mother around and alive, so I’m aware of my good fortune. And I’m grateful!

And, with Mother’s Day approaching, it seems like a good time to acknowledge this blessing in my life. The blessing of being a daughter and having daughters (and a cute son) too. To have a mom and be a mom; that’s the bee’s knees, lucky me!