Thursday, May 12, 2011

Have I Done Any Good In the World Today?

“Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day.” -Sally Koch

We had a Relief Society Service Auction on Tuesday night. Everyone donated services (babysitting, dinners, tutoring for teenagers, sewing lessons, homemade jam, cinnamon rolls), we scored points through a fun survey, and bid on the offerings.

It was a fun and a light hearted evening but we all enjoyed the competitive bidding and everyone went home happy. Which proves my theory (okay, not mine exactly but I endorse it) that people who serve others are the happiest people.

The auction reminded me of a talk Kyle Bakken gave probably a year ago when he was on break from BYU-Idaho. Kyle had chosen a general conference talk on service which seemed poignant since his parents are like the poster people for serving others. The Bakken’s are featured regularly in the Los Gatos Weekly for their community service and Candy always has umpteen projects providing service of one sort or another.

I’m not sure why the service auction made me think about Kyle’s talk, except that I remember how friendly and happy Kyle seemed. You could see it in his countenance. Of course Candy is always delightful to be around so I think the auction atmosphere was another confirmation that serving others is truly the best route to finding our own happiness in life.