Sunday, May 15, 2011

Got Chia?

Brent’s new Aztec ways have introduced a new product into our pantry: Chia!

When the Chia Pet craze was around in the 1980’s, I never imagined that a Chia eating craze would evolve. But, chia seeds appear to be the new flax. In other words, for good health, sprinkle into just about anything.

Chia has more fiber than bran, more antioxidants than blueberries, more iron than spinach, and way more magnesium than broccoli. Plus, it’s the richest plant source of Omega-3. So that’s not a bad nutritional profile.

We caught wind of chia from Dr. Bob Arnot (see yesterday’s post) who thinks chia is the new black! And, apparently, the old one too, because the Aztec Indians used lots of chia in their foods.

If I’m suspect of any dietary regimen I’ll I check with Mallory Lake, my favorite culinary source and expert of all things at Whole Foods. Well, even Mallory gives chia seeds the thumbs up. Plus, she gave me some cool chia recipes and I’m going to try her chia pudding today. With ingredients like chia seeds, carob powder, hemp milk and agave, how can this pudding not taste delicious?

Brent’s been adding Mila (a chia brand name) into his morning smoothies and couldn’t figure out why the shakes were so thick. It turns out the chia expands or gels so it thickens anything you mix it with.

So, the Chia Pets were pretty kitschy but I predict chia seeds are going to have more appeal than Chia Pets (which shouldn’t be hard) and that it will have greater staying power. Got Chia? If not, get some!