Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Power & Influence & Lack Thereof...

“The role of Chief Observation Officer is clearly the most influential in the organization.” -Roger

Brent was interviewing potential CFO (chief financial officer) candidates for PCG so we joined up with Roger and his wife for a great meal at Tamarind in Palo Alto.

In an email exchange that included the dinner invitation, Brent jokingly referred to me as the Chief Observation Officer, in justification of getting together with wives. Hence, Roger’s tongue-in-cheek quote above arrived in his email reply.

However, I take my COO assignment (albeit, self appointed) quite seriously. More so, it seems, than anyone else (clearly more than my boss!). I’ve been crafting and honing my observation skills for years. I’m almost prideful enough to say I’ve got special powers.

One problem I’ll acknowledge with my 24/7 observing: I’m afraid I’m like a typical critic; great at observing what is wrong. Or touting what not to do. Just don’t ask me how to fix or correct issues, I haven’t quite refined that talent yet.

So, Roger is a bright and capable guy but he is unfortunately (especially for me!) wrong in his premise that the role of the COO is the most influential in the organization. Perhaps this is how it should be, but this is not how it is.

In fact, my influence is, sadly, miniscule. My opinions generally go unheeded. My ideas remain just that, ideas. Perhaps my advice and commentary lacks credibility because it’s so cheap, as in free. Maybe I need to charge more for my astute observations. Because one thing I have definitely observed is that people value things more when they’ve paid for them.

In the meantime, I do find it can be lonely at the top (or perhaps at the bottom - depending on where the COO might fall on the business hierarchy).