Friday, November 4, 2011

The ABC's of Elections.....

We used to sing the ABC song with Emily Bryan nonstop in the car. The CD is still in the car and it came on yesterday and brought back memories.

Emily's earliest version went A, B, C, D, L, M, N, O, P (she got totally tripped up by E, F and G). Now she has it all down from A to Z.

But Emily's incomplete rendition used to remind me of my campaign in high school when I ran for HAW Secretary (Highland Associated Women). This was back in the dark ages when high school elections were big Productions! There were primaries and finals; we enlisted campaign managers, made fancy posters, badges, and put on skits at assemblies. Getting elected was no small feat!

I was running for Secretary and two close friends were running for President and Vice President (Linda and Kim) so it would be terrible for all of us if one of us lost! Added pressure!

Fortunately, we were all elected and I probably owe my victory to the ABC song. My slogan was basically a customized ABC song with a Sesame Street theme. I even dressed up like Big Bird for the assembly. And since most people know how much I hate to wear costumes, that just goes to show you how muchI wanted to win.

Try this out: "A, B, C, D, E, F, G... H, I, J, K... U, M, P. Now I know my ABC's...tell me that you'll vote for me." The amazing thing is how well my last name (maiden name Kump) fit into the song! Like it was meant to be!

When Emily gets a little older I’ll teach her my campaign version of the A,B,C’s.