Friday, November 18, 2011

The True Artists....

“Very few people possess true artistic ability. It is therefore both unseemly and unproductive to irritate the situation by making an effort.

If you have a burning, restless urge to write or paint, simply eat something sweet and the feeling will pass. -Fran Lebowitz

When it comes to art, I have a good eye but zero talent. So, I’m best to follow the advice above and stick with hobbies like eating and let my talented friends do the painting and photography and such.

I spent Wednesday and Thursday nights with Julia Hatch, one of my gifted artist friend’s! Julia’s got an Art Show at the Hunter/Peterson home and some of the Hunter crew is also selling jewelry.

Most of Julia’s pieces are oil or acrylic on canvas but she’s got an assortment of sizes, themes, and color palettes to chose from. I found a cool geometric piece with my name on it :) It’s unusual for something from Julia’s portfolio, kind of more my style than hers. And I love Julia’s title for the piece I’ve just acquired: “Line Upon Line.” A nice scripture reference to my new art.

It’s a bit intimidating to be around my friends that are bona fide true artists. Julia with her paintbrush, Anita with her camera, Vicki with her knitting needles, Linda with her sewing machine, etc. I can’t compete but I do admire their gifts and talents! Maybe my talent is simply art appreciation. That, and a talent for finding truly talented friends!

“I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way - things I had no words for.” -Georgia O’Keefe