Thursday, November 24, 2011

Gratitude...a feeling that nurtures the soul!

“Can you see the holiness in those things you take for granted - a paved road or a washing machine? If you concentrate on finding what is good in every situation, you will discover that your life will suddenly be filled with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul.” -Rabbi Harold Kushner.

I love Rabbi Kushner! For me he is a little like a C.S. Lewis but of the Jewish faith (kind of how as Mormons we tend to quote C.S. Lewis incessantly, I do the same with Kushner and have read all of his books). As the author of the bestseller, “When Bad Things Happen To Good People,” Rabbi Kushner always has thoughtful and thought-provoking things to say. And, I love the sentiment that gratitude is a feeling that nurtures that soul (beautifully put and absolutely true!).

So, we’ve just returned from the annual Turkey Trot and I couldn’t blog earlier because our internet was down. And now the feast preparations begin. I’m grateful we’ll get to enjoy Thanksgiving with the Holland family again this year. It’s sad that last year was Carol Holland’s last Thanksgiving and we’ll definitely miss missionary Hermana Holland again too. But Alex is home from BYU and Webb drove up last night. So, it looks like the day should be filled with family, good friends and fun times.

I hope I can always be thankful for the small daily things in life that bring me joy. I’m grateful and fortunate I have these little things in abundance. Actually it’s stated better by the well known psychologist, Abraham Maslow, so I’ll close with his lines below...

“Some people have a wonderful capacity to appreciate again and again, freshly and naively, the basic goods of life, with awe, pleasure, wonder, and even ecstasy.” -Abraham Maslow