Monday, November 7, 2011

A late blooming risk taker...

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." -Anais Nin

I'm generally risk adverse. I don't write that with pride because I’ve definitely missed opportunities along the way due to fears of failure or inadequacy.

However, I'm finally reaching a ripe old age that I don't care as much if I flop. So, perhaps I'm actually figuring out how to "chalk it up for experience" and worry less about getting it perfect.

When I graduated with my bachelors degree I always assumed I'd continue schooling at some point. But, "some point” became a moving target.

Whenever life started to feel settled, something would come along and I'd put graduate school plans on the back burner. Initially it was pregnancy (Andie was a wonderful surprise, just earlier than expected). Sometimes, it was moves; east to west coast, southern cal to the pacific northwest, and finally bay area bound. Sometimes it was church callings or commitments that felt almost like full time volunteer work.

Needless to say, the timing finally felt right to return to school. And I’m grateful to be back. I really enjoy it, even if I am an extremely late bloomer.