Friday, May 4, 2012

Making Peace with Earworms...

I got to substitute teach Seminary on Wednesday and while seeing the youth was a treat, somehow the opening song got stuck in my head and I spent the day singing “Israel, Israel God is Calling” over & over, ad nauseam. 


Relative to this annoying problem, which can vex me on a frequent basis, I ran across a remedy in my psychology homework.  Initially it sounds a little counter-intuitive but actually makes sense.  So, for what it’s worth, I’ll pass along the advice that helped rid me of the (love it, but in moderation) repeat-cycle church hymn. 


“There’s actually a scientific term for jingles that get lodged in your head: earworms.  And, a study found that the worst way to get rid of earworms is to try to get rid of earworms.  The more you think about trying to forget them, the deeper they burrow.  This is pretty much true about consciously trying to forget anything.  There’s even a name for the phenomenon: ironic processing.  The best advice I’ve heard for making earworms go away, is to just stop being irritated by them, and come to peace with the fact that you’re humming Britney Spears.”  -Joshua Foer