Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sell Everything & Buy Wisdom...

“To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe." -Marilyn Vos Savant
     
     We are a funny breed!  We learn the most (by far) from observing and listening but there still seems to be a prevailing notion that wisdom is acquired from talking.  I catch myself all the time.
     Whenever I wish I was a better listener I have to stop and remember that skills are perfected with practice.  And to  hone the art of good listening requires mastery of an every harder skill (for me at least): keeping quiet.  Sometimes it’s hard to resist throwing in my two cents worth so showing restraint, even when I might have a worthwhile comment, is good practice.


"Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you’d have preferred to talk.” -Doug Larson