Monday, May 28, 2012

School Holiday?

       Memorial Day is a federal holiday so I’m still trying to figure out why I have class today.  It’s true.  For some odd reason my Santa Clara University graduate program does not close down for Memorial Day.  So, while people spend their afternoon at the beach or enjoying picnics, I’ll be in class taking notes at Loyola Hall.  
        Fortunately I can head straight to a fun BBQ when class concludes.  Still, it feels like someone missed something - I’m having a hard time believing school is really in session.  Whose idea was it not to cancel class today? 
     But, since we are (or should be) honoring the men & women who have died serving our country I should at least pay some Memorial Day tribute to recognize and honor them:  


Their silent wounds have speech 
More eloquent than men;
Their tones can deeper reach
Than human voice or pen.  -William Woodman