Saturday, October 31, 2009

"Get Candy, Get Candy, Get Candy!" -Jerry Seinfeld

"It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"
Sally: Do I get to go trick-or-treating this year, big brother?
Charlie Brown: Sure, Sally.
Sally: Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! How do we do it?
Lucy: All you have to do is walk up to a house, ring the doorbell and say "Trick or treats."
Sally: Are you sure it's legal?
Lucy: Of course it's legal.
Sally: I wouldn't want to be accused of taking part in a rumble.

Halloween! Of course it has been overly commercialized; any holiday that opportunists can "milk" these days, they will! But when all is said and done; I love Halloween! For me, Halloween is all about the candy!

I love the Jerry Seinfeld monologue about his quest for candy on Halloween: "So the first time you hear the concept of Halloween when you're a kid, your brain can't even process the idea. You're like, "What is this? What did you say? Someone's giving out candy? Everyone we know is giving out candy?!"

I felt like Seinfeld when I discovered that older kids used Pillowcases! ...Get Out! I'd been content to canvas Maywood Drive with my little plastic pumpkin collecting treats. Suddenly, I learned I could wander neighborhoods endlessly, inhaling candy while filling the pillowcase! Intoxicating!

Post "trick or treating" brought another Halloween Highlight! Sorting, Organizing, and Cataloguing the Candy! (Perfect for my skill set!): 20 Babe Ruth bars, 13 Skittles, 6 Good & Plenty, et al. Then, finally, the Candy Exchange: I'll give you 2 Snickers for 1 PayDay, and so on. Since I prefer fruity candy and caramel models to chocolate, I could always score some win/win trades!

Now, Halloween Costumes I could take or leave (honestly, I'd prefer to bag that part). For me, Halloween is a Holiday that is all about the Candy! (or did I mention that already?)